500 DAYS: In his first 500 days in office, President Donald J. Trump has failed to deliver on key promises to the American people.
- Since taking office, President Trump has increased costs for American families, signed a tax bill that fails to deliver for working Americans, and created a culture of corruption that permeates throughout his administration.
- After 500 days, the results of the Trump administration’s actions are clear: the economy is even more tilted to corporations and wealthy investors, while working Americans are left behind.
- President Trump has done nothing to “drain the swamp,” working instead to benefit the rich and powerful and failing to deliver on key promises to the American people.
AMERICANS ARE PAYING MORE: Because of actions taken by the Trump administration, Americans are paying more for gas and health insurance.
Failed to Deliver: “We’re going to have a health care that is far less expensive and far better.” –President-Elect Donald Trump
- “Insurers are pointing toward actions by Congress and the Trump Administration that will undermine the market and increase premiums. Bearing the brunt will be middle-class people who buy individual policies and don’t get subsidies under the ACA.”
- “President Trump's former top health official on Tuesday said the Republican tax law Would Raise The Cost Of Health Insurance for some Americans because it repealed a core provision of the Affordable Care Act.”
- “State insurance regulators from both political parties have also warned that the administration’s proposals could destabilize insurance markets, raise premiums for sick Americans and open the door to insurance fraud.”
- “The impact of changes to the law made by Republicans over the past year — modifications short of the ‘repeal and replace’ they promised — Is Becoming Clear. Initial announcements show health insurers in several states are seeking big increases in premiums for next year for people who buy their own insurance.”
- “With the U.S. abandoning the Iran deal, Americans can prepare for Higher Prices At The Gas Pump -- and a hit to everything from airline tickets to the cost of package delivery.”
- “Analysts, trade groups, former officials and scholars haveBroadly Agreedthat the president's decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal, and re-implement U.S. sanctions, likely helped drive up benchmark oil prices by stoking investors' fears about geopolitical turmoil and a cutoff in Iranian oil production.”
CORPORATE AMERICA IS CASHING IN, WHILE THE MIDDLE CLASS IS BEING LEFT BEHIND: Thanks to the #GOPTaxScam for the Rich, corporate executives and wealthy shareholders are cashing in, while working Americans are being left behind. President Trump promised a $4,000 raise to American families, but the tax bill he signed has failed to deliver.
Failed to Deliver: “So your income goes up. It’s like having a $4,000 increase, which isn’t bad, which isn’t bad.” –President Donald Trump
- In 2018, corporations haveAnnounced Plansto spend more than $450 billion on corporate stock buybacks, dwarfing the amount of announced one-time bonuses following passage of the tax bill. Corporate stock buybacks overwhelmingly benefit wealthy shareholders and corporate executives.
- “TheBuyback Boomearly this year confirms our view that the main use of corporate America’s tax savings will be takeovers and stock buybacks rather than capital investment or hiring.”
- “Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) told The Economist in a recent interview that ‘There's No Evidence Whatsoever’ that the corporate tax cut Republicans passed last year is overwhelmingly benefiting workers.”
- “Now, executives of big U.S. companies suggest that the days of most people getting a pay raise are over, and that they also plan toReduce Their Work Forces Further.”
- “It’s aPattern That’s Played Out Over And Oversince the tax cuts passed — companies profit, shareholders reap the benefits, and workers get left out.” … “Harley-Davidson is an American symbol, and President Trump has trotted it out as an example of business success. But as it’s getting its tax cut, it’s outsourcing jobs and paying shareholders.”
- “Wells FargoPlans To Closeabout 900 branches as part of efforts to cut costs in the wake of its mis-selling scandal even though the bank’s profits received an immediate $3.4bn boost from the US corporate tax cut.”
- “More than half of registered voters sayThey Haven’t Noticed An Increase In Their Paychecksas a result of the new tax law, and support for the law overall remains tepid, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.”
MAKING AMERICA SWAMP AGAIN: The Trump Administration has been marred by a staggering number of ethical scandals.
Failed to Deliver: “It is a swamp of absolute corruption! It's absolutely corrupt! And we're going to drain the swamp. We'll see what happens. We're going to drain it.” –Then-Candidate Donald Trump
- “In mid-September, the Environmental Protection Agency administrator’s director of scheduling and advance, Millan Hupp, contacted the Trump International Hotel in Washington with an unusual request. Hupp wanted to know how much the hotel wouldCharge EPA Chief Scott Pruittfor purchasing one of its used mattresses. Hupp’s search for a discount ‘Trump Home Luxury Plush Euro Pillow Top’ mattress, which she detailed in a recent interview with congressional investigators, was one of several unusual tasks she performed for the administrator.”
- “The lobbyist whose wifeRenteda $50-a-night condo to Scott Pruitt, the head of the Environmental Protection Agency, has revised his disclosure reports after his firm concluded he had not properly disclosed additional efforts to influence Mr. Pruitt and the agency — including appeals when Mr. Pruitt was living in the condo.”
- “A day after President Donald Trump announced he would consider easing penalties against a controversial Chinese electronics company,That Company Enlisted A Trump Campaign Veteranto make its case in Washington.”
- “Mick Mulvaney, the interim director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau,Told Banking Industry Executiveson Tuesday that they should press lawmakers hard to pursue their agenda, and revealed that, as a congressman, he would meet with lobbyists only if they had contributed to his campaign.”
- “President Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn,Pleaded Guiltyon Friday to lying to the F.B.I. about conversations with the Russian ambassador last December, becoming the first senior White House official to cut a cooperation deal in the special counsel’s wide-ranging inquiry into election interference.”
- “Here’s What We Found: At least 187 Trump political appointees have been federal lobbyists, and despite President Trump’s campaign pledge to ‘drain the swamp,’ many are now overseeing the industries they once lobbied on behalf of.”
- “HHS Secretary Tom Price resigned Friday in the face ofMultiple Federal Inquiriesand growing criticism of his use of private and government planes for travel, at a cost to taxpayers of more than $1 million since May.”