Congressional Dem Leaders: GOP Proposal to Cut Medicare, Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act Would Make America Sick Again and Create Chaos, Not Affordable Care for Americans
Despite Their Pledge To “Repeal And Replace” The ACA, Republicans In Congress Would Make America Sick Again By Offering No Health Care Plan To The American People And Actually Dismantling Medicare And Medicaid And The ACAReckless GOP Plan Would Put Insurance Companies Back In Charge, Kick 30 Million Americans Off Their Insurance, Cut Medicare & Medicaid Health Benefits, Result In Huge Hikes In Costs Of Insurance & Prescription Drugs For All Families & More Senate & House Democrats: RepublicansJanuary 4, 2017
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Following their meeting with President Barack Obama in the U.S. Capitol Building, Congressional Democrats, led by Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Senator Patty Murray, Ranking Member of the Senate HELP Committee, Senator Bernie Sanders, Ranking Member of the Senate Budget Committee, and Rep. Richard Neal, Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee, said today that the Republican attempts to dismantle Medicare and Medicaid as well as the Affordable Care Act would make America sick again and create chaos instead of affordable care for millions of Americans. The push from Congressional Democrats comes as Republicans, including President-elect Trump's pick to lead the Department of Health and Human Services, Representative Tom Price, are leading the charge to start the process to cut Medicare, Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act as early as next week.
Senate Democrats’ argued that the Republicans’ irresponsible plan would, among many other things, put insurance companies back in charge by repealing patient protections for every American who has insurance, cut Medicare and Medicaid health benefits, kick 30 million Americans off their insurance, leaving them unable to see their doctor, and result in huge hikes in costs of insurance and prescription drugs for every family. A more thorough list of the impact of Republicans’ plan can be found below.
“The republican plan to cut healthcare wouldn't make America great again, it would make America sick again,” said Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer. “It would lead to chaos instead of affordable care. Republicans would create calamity in the healthcare system because they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and have no idea what to put in place of the affordable care act. Republicans should stop clowning around with the Medicare, Medicaid and the ACA that millions of hardworking Americans rely on.”
“After years of the GOP fevered, fact-free crusade against the Affordable Care Act, Republicans’ repeal and delay plan will have cold, hard consequences for millions of Americans,” said House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi. “The GOP’s assault on Medicare, Medicaid and affordable health care will create chaos that will echo in the health coverage and costs of every American. We cannot allow Republicans to Make America Sick Again.”
Specifically, the Republicans’ irresponsible plan would:
- Increase Health Care Costs: The Republican plan to repeal health care would increase prescription drug costs, premiums, and out-of-pocket costs for American families.
- Put Insurance Companies Back in Charge: The Republican plan would put big insurance companies back in charge of Americans’ health care by repealing patient protections for every American who has insurance. If Republicans have their way, they would take the country back to the days when insurance companies could discriminate against people, including individuals with pre-existing conditions.
- Cause Premiums to Skyrocket: According to independent experts, the Republican proposal would cause premiums to spike for Americans across the country. [Urban Institute 12/6/16; American Academy of Actuaries, 12/7/16; Congressional Budget Office, 12/11/15]
- Unravel the Insurance Market: Immediately following a Republican repeal of health care reform, 4.3 million Americans would go uninsured. Because of the chaotic ripple effect of repeal, an additional 7.3 million people would lose health coverage as the individual insurance market nears collapse. In total, nearly 30 million Americans would lose their insurance. [Urban Institute, 12/6/16]
- Damage Local Hospitals: Under the Republican plan, Health care providers, especially rural hospitals, would suffer, losing millions of dollars and could be forced to shut their doors to sick Americans. [American Hospital Association, 12/6/16; Modern Healthcare, 11/9/16]
- Provide Tax Breaks for Millionaires: By repealing health care reform and ripping away coverage from millions, Republicans would give billions in tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy, while raising taxes on millions of middle-class Americans. [Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 12/15/16; Kaiser Family Foundation, 12/5/16]
- Hurt Middle Class Families: Under the Republican proposal, older Americans would once again be on their own to manage expensive health conditions while they wait to enroll in Medicare. Women would lose access to preventive health care, including birth control. Americans with a mental health condition would be turned away from treatment and lose the newly gained care and support they count on. Young adults would no longer be able to stay on their parents’ plan until they’re 26.
- Exacerbate the Opioid Epidemic: Repealing Medicaid expansion would rip coverage away from an estimated 1.6 million newly insured individuals with substance use disorders. [Health Affairs, 12/16]