Senate Floor Wrap Up for Friday, September 23, 2011
- Passed H.R.2646, the Veterans Health Care Facilities Capital Improvement Act of 2011.
- Passed H.R.2943: Short-term TANF Extension Act.
- Adopted S.Con.Res.27, a concurrent resolution honoring the service of Sergeant First Class Leroy Arthur Petry, a native of Santa Fe, New Mexico, and the second living recipient of the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam War.
- Adopted S.Con.Res.29, authorizing the use of the Rotunda of the United States Capitol for an event to award the Congressional Gold Medal, collectively, to Neil A. Armstrong, Edwin E. "Buzz" Aldrin, Jr., Michael Collins, and John Herschel Glenn, Jr., in recognition of their significant contributions to society.
- Discharged HELP and adopted S.Res.248, supporting the goals and ideals of "Brain Aneurysm Awareness Month".
- Discharged Judiciary and adopted S.Res.273, congratulating the Nunaka Valley Little League junior girls softball team on their performance in the Junior League Softball World Series.
- Discharged Judiciary and adopted S.Res.261, designating the month of October 2011 as "National Medicine Abuse Awareness Month".
- Adopted S.Res.276, expressing support for the goals and ideals of National Infant Mortality Awareness Month 2011
- Adopted S.Res.277, Recognizing the month of October 2011 as "National Principals Month".
- Adopted S.Res.278, designating September 2011 as National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.
- Adopted S.Res.279, expressing support for the designation of September 24, 2011, as "Worldwide Day of Play".
- Adopted S.Res.280, designating the week beginning September 19, 2011, as "National Hispanic-Serving Institutions Week and recognizing the achievements of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.
- Adopted S.Res.281, designating September 24, 2011, as "National Estuaries Day".
- Adopted S.Res.282, a resolution to authorize testimony in Kanelos v. County of Mohave, et al and Zanna, et al v. Mohave County, et al.
- Confirmed the following Executive Calendar items:
- DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
#371 Ashton B. Carter - to be Deputy Secretary of Defense
- AIR FORCE
#372 Col. Timothy J. Leahy - to be Brigadier General
#373 Capt. Rebecca J. McCormick-Boyle - to be Rear Admiral (lower half)
#374 Capt. Raquel C. Bono - to be Rear Admiral (lower half)
#375 Maj. Gen. Jan-Marc Jouas - to be Lieutenant General
#376 Maj. Gen. Patricia D. Horoho - to be Lieutenant General
#377 Rear Adm. (lh) Douglas J. Venlet - to be Rear Admiral
#378 Rear Adm. (lh) David C. Johnson - to be Rear Admiral
#379 Rear Adm. (lh) Donald E. Gaddis - to be Rear Admiral
#381 Capt. Mark R. Whitney - to be Rear Admiral (lower half)
#382 Capt. Cindy L. Jaynes - to be Rear Admiral (lower half)
- AIR FORCE
#383 Maj. Gen. Judith A. Fedder - to be Lieutenant General
#384 Maj. Gen. Michael T. Flynn - to be Lieutenant General
- AIR FORCE
#385 Brig. Gen. Scott M. Hanson - to be Major General
#386 Maj. Gen. Clyde D. Moore, II - to be Lieutenant General
#387 Vice Adm. Cecil E. D. Haney - to be Admiral
#388 Col. Robert F. Thomas - to be Brigadier General
#389 Brig. Gen. Allyson R. Solomon - to be Major General
#390 Col. Gary W. Keefe - to be Brigadier General
#391 Col. Frederick G. Hartwig;
Col. Donald L. Johnson;
Col. Kenneth W. Wisian - to be Brigadier General
#392 Brig. Gen. Joseph G. Balskus;
Brig. Gen. William S. Hadaway, III;
Brig. Gen. Mark R. Kraus;
Brig. Gen. Catherine S. Lutz - to be Major General
#393 Maj. Gen. James L. Terry - to be Lieutenant General
#394 Maj. Gen. William T. Grisoli - to be Lieutenant General
#395 Brig. Gen. Margaret W. Boor - to be Major General
#396 Col. Raphael G. Peart - to be Brigadier General
#397 Brig. Gen. Terry M. Haston - to be Major General
#398 Rear Adm. Michael S. Rogers - to be Vice Admiral
#399 Rear Adm. Frank C. Pandolfe - to be Vice Admiral
#400 Col. Randall R. Ball;
Col. John P. Bartholf;
Col. Steven J. Berryhill;
Col. Gretchen S. Dunkelberger;
Col. Greg A. Haase;
Col. Scott L. Kelly;
Col. Maureen McCarthy;
Col. Mark A. McCauley;
Col. Marsa L. Mitchell;
Col. Harry D. Montgomery, Jr.;
Col. Jon K. Mott;
Col. Brian C. Newby;
Col. David W. Newman;
Col. David Snyder;
Col. Dean L. Winslow - to be Brigadier General
#401 Maj. Gen. Raymond V. Mason - to be Lieutenant General
#402 Maj. Gen. Terry A. Wolff - to be Lieutenant General
- Discharged HELP and confirmed PN 924 Five hundred and sixty-seven nominations in the Public Health Service received by the Senate on September 8, 2011, beginning with Aysha Z. Akhtar, and ending with Mykah N. Wynter.