Wrap Up for Tuesday, July 29, 2014Roll Call Votes
- Confirmation of Executive Calendar #952, Robert Alan McDonald, of Ohio, to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs; Confirmed: 97-0.
- Wyden-Hatch amendment #3582; Agreed to: 71-26
- Carper-Corker-Boxer amendment #3583; Agreed to: 66-31
- Lee amendment #3584; Not agreed to: 28-69
- Toomey amendment #3585; Not agreed to: 47-50
- Passage of H.R.5021, Highway and Transportation Funding Act, as amended, if amended; Passed: 79-18
- Adopted S.Res.526, supporting Israel's right to defend against Hamas, and for other purposes.
- Passed S.2577, to require the Secretary of State to offer rewards totaling up to $5,000,000 for information on the kidnapping and murder of Naftali Fraenkel, a dual U.S.-Istraeli citizen.
- Passed H.R.4028, to amend the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 to include the desecration of cemeteries among the many forms of violations of the right to religious freedom.
- Agreed to H.Con.Res.103, authorizing the use of the Capitol Grounds for the District of Columbia Special Olympics Law Enforcement Torch Run.
- Agreed to H.Con.Res.106, authorizing the use of Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center for a ceremony to award Congressional Gold Medals in honor of the men and women who perished as a result of the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001.
- Adopted S.Res.527, congratulating the members of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. for 100 years of service throughout the United States and the world, and commending Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. for exemplifying the ideals of brotherhood, scholarship, and service while upholding the motto "Culture for Service and Service for Humanity".
- Adopted S.Res.521, designating July 26, 2014, as "United States Intelligence Professionals Day".
- Adopted S.Res.528, commemorating the 125th Anniversary of North Dakota's Statehood.
Began the Rule 14 process to place on the Legislative Calendar of Business S.2685, USA Freedom Act (Leahy)
Completed the Rule 14 process to place on the Legislative Calendar of Business S.2673, U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act (Boxer)
Completed the Rule 14 process to place on the Legislative Calendar of Business H.R.3393, Student and Family Tax Simplification Act
The following nominations were confirmed by voice votes:
- Executive Calendar #530, Larry Edward Andrea, Jr., of Virginia, to be Ambassador to the Islamic Republic of Mauritania
- Executive Calendar #543, Michael Stephen Hoza, of Washington, to be Ambassador to the Republic of Cameroon
- Executive Calendar #899, Joan A. Polaschik, of Virginia, to be Ambassador to the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria