No more votes tonight, next vote 5:30pm MondayThe Reed amendment was tabled 49-45. Senator McConnell then filed cloture on the Murkowski amendment #2 (substitute ) and the underlying bill, S. 1, a bill to approve the Keystone XL pipeline. Senator McConnell then asked consent to vote on a series of Republican amendments and the Cardin amendment at 9:30am tomorrow, with no second degree amendments in order and that the amendments be subject to 60 vote thresholds for adoption. Senator Durbin objected. The unofficial transcript of the exchange can be found below. The next vote will be at 5:30pm on Monday, January 26.
- MCCONNELL: MR. PRESIDENT, I ASK UNANIMOUS CONSENT THAT AT
RELATION TO THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENTS IN THE ORDER LISTED --
SULLIVAN 67, CARDIN 75, MURKOWSKI 98, FLAKE 103, CRUZ 15, MORAN
73, DAINES 132. FURTHER, THAT ALL AMENDMENTS ON THE LIST BE
SUBJECT TO A 60-VOTE AFFIRMATIVE THRESHOLD FOR ADOPTION AND
THAT NO SECOND DEGREES BE IN ORDER TO THE AMENDMENTS. I ASK
CONSENT THERE BE TWO MINUTES OF DEBATE EQUALLY DIVIDED BETWEEN
EACH VOTE AND THAT ALL VOTE AFTER THE FIRST IN THE SERIES BE
- DURBIN: NOW THAT WE HAVE PURGED THE CALENDAR OF FIVE OF THE
TIME TO VOTE. IT DOESN'T STRIKE ME THAT THIS IS IN THE BEST
INTERESTS OF WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO ACHIEVE HERE IN GOING BACK
AND FORTH IN A BIPARTISAN, CONSTRUCTIVE FASHION. I WOULD LIKE
TO ASK THE MAJORITY LEADER ARE YOU PREPARED TO BE IN SESSION
TOMORROW AND TO CONSIDER DEMOCRATIC AND REPUBLICAN AMENDMENTS
AND WORK THROUGH THE LIST, INCLUDING THE ONES THAT YOU JUST
- McCONNELL: DOES THE SENATOR FROM ILLINOIS INTEND TO OBJECT
- DURBIN: WHAT I'M ASKING, FRANKLY, IS TO TRY TO AMEND THIS
AMENDMENT AND AT LEAST FIVE OR SIX REPUBLICAN AMENDMENTS TO BE
- McCONNELL: WELL, WE JUST HAD VOTES ON DEMOCRATIC AMENDMENTS
HAVE A VOTE ON.
- DURBIN: AND THE RECORD WILL REFLECT THE SPIRITED DEBATE ON
SECONDS TO DESCRIBE WHAT WAS IN THE AMENDMENT.
- MCCONNELL: MR. PRESIDENT, AM I CORRECT THAT THE SENATOR
- DURBIN: I OBJECT.
- MCCONNELL: I SUGGEST THE ABSENCE OF A QUORUM.